< ? php //If there is analytic campaign data, attempt to get the campaign_guid from that cookie if ( 1 === preg_match( '/pk10mkto-([0-9]+)/', $_COOKIE[ '__utmz' ], $match ) ) { $campaign_guid = $match[ 1 ]; } ?>

Healthcare and Cybersecurity: Mitigating Risks and Increasing Data Security

Hacker with a computer keyboard in background
December 23, 2016
Shares

Protecting Healthcare Data Against Cyberattacks

According to the 2016 HIMSS Cybersecurity Survey, 58% of healthcare organizations are increasing cybersecurity awareness and data security measures. While this means a significant majority of organizations are increasing their investment in information security, it is valid to ask, what about the remaining 42% of organizations that are not increasing their investment? Typically, organizations in this minority fall into three categories:

  • Those who do not recognize demands of the current threat landscape.
  • Those who recognize the demands of the current threat landscape and feel their current spending is sufficient.
  • Those who recognize the demands of the current threat landscape, but are unable or unwilling to increase information security spending due to organizational or financial constraints.

It’s extremely important for the organizations in the healthcare industry to understand the current threat landscape and make data security a part of their overall IT strategy. In order for healthcare organizations to mitigate risks against data breaches and protect sensitive patient data, healthcare CIOs must be prepared against the most threatening attacks in the industry, including phishing, malware and ransomware, which is the most serious since it presents a broad operational threat that can indefinitely disrupt operations.

Healthcare CIOs should focus on people and process before systems. Too often information security is seen as a problem in need of a technological solution when actually greater benefit is derived from focusing on people, what they do and how they do it, rather than the tools they use. To learn more about the 2016 HIMSS Cybersecurity Survey, check out this article from Healthcare IT News.

Fine tune your content search

About Peak 10

"Our values are the foundation for everything we do at Peak 10, and are ultimately what enable us to earn our customers' business and their trust."
David H. Jones,
Board Member, Peak 10 + ViaWest